Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Self Portrait - 1968

I am, myself, a book
to be read and reasoned
to be loved and hated
to be known, yet misunderstood
I am, myself, a man

- - - - - - -

As a young man of nineteen who had joined the work force in Ottawa, working for the department of Public Works thanks to my uncle who was a senior level government bureaucrat, I had begun to see myself as a man though in reality, I was more than naive about almost everything in life. Now, more than forty years later, I find myself still naive about many things. In the moments between work I lived in a world of literature, philosophy and music. I avoided, as much as possible, being involved with most people. Again, it isn't much different in the present. I am still quiet and reserved. I still crave the same things as I did forty years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

rgl

2 comments:

Dr. Duncan MacDougall said...

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose. Indeed.

rgl said...

Thanks for the kind words.