Monday, November 24, 2008

Shadows and Ghosts - 1970

a song bends the stale air
as children stray between empty buildings,
a robin darts through bare branches
of a chokecherry bush,
a shout rings out from
a backyard beef barbeque,
and a car guns its motor
waiting for a light to turn green

a jackhammer threatens eardums
on a busy downtown street,
a neon sign flashes a rainbow
of pulsing plastic light,
a drunk sprawls on the grass
waiting for the pain to leave,
and a crowd lines up
to see the latest restricted movie

a bus rolls up to one of many stops
and waits for people to board and pay,
a factory whistle announces a shift change
a comman to hundreds,
a class of students leave the museum
forgetting about the relics on display,
and a woman gives birth
to an unwanted child

a man sits silently
on a dusty bench waiting,
a child cries in front of a TV
frightened by Captain Hook,
a young woman looks longingly
at a bargain basement gown,
and another city day passes
into memories as shadows and ghosts

- - - - -

There is no doubt that youth gives one a cynical perspective of life, one that is almost intolerant of human weakness. When I wrote this, I was certain that I would make every moment count and that all of my actions would have purpose and meaning, that I wouldn't get caught like those I pitied all around me.

No comments: